This Beef Caldereta recipe (Kaldereta) gives you a know-how on preparing this hearty dish. Beef Caldereta or Kaldereta is also known as the beef stew in tomato sauce. In the Northern part of the Philippines such as Ilocos Norte, they use the meaty bones of Goat instead of beef or pork.
In some parts of the Philippines, beef caldereta is served in fiestas and other family festivities like birthdays. The use of meat in this beef caldereta recipe is a more expensive alternative as compared to using pork. Most wet markets or palengke in the Philippines sell pre-cut meat or more often referred to as Caldereta-cut beef. There are numerous ways and methods of cooking caldereta. Some cooks would prefer to brown the meat first before stewing. Other prefer to boil the meaty bones of the beef first, then followed by sauteeing them in aromatics such as sliced onion and garlic. This beef caldereta recipe uses the great method of tenderizing the meat and simmering it in seasoned tomato sauce. The process of simmering the beef also gives minimal shrinkages and keeps the beef moist and very tender.
Beef Caldereta Recipe and Preparation Tips
The Beef and the vegetables in this Beef Caldereta recipe must be sliced evenly to ensure even cooking. Filipinos use the sweeter type of tomato sauce or tomato paste when cooking their beef caldereta. They would also add in a traditional Filipino spread to breads—that is the liver spread. The most popular brand for this liver spread is Reno. The liver spread adds a creamy and velvety texture to the beef caldereta recipe.Print
Beef Caldereta Recipe ( Kaldereta)
- Prep Time: 45 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Yield: 5
- Category: Beef
- 2 lb. beef, cut into cubes
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. chili flakes
- 4 cup water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup liver spread
- 3 bay leaf
- 2 cup potatoes, quartered
- 2 cup carrots, sliced
- 2/3 cup green olives
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a Pan. Fry the potatoes and carrots until color turns light brown. Remove and set aside.
- Add beef to the pan; stir-fry for a few minutes until lightly brown. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté the garlic and onions until translucent.
- Add chili flakes. Return beef and accumulated juices to pan.
- Stir-fry for a few minutes. Add water, tomato sauce, liver spread and bay leaf; stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil then simmer, about an hour or until meat tender.
- Add potatoes, carrots and green olives; simmer for another 6 to 8 minutes. Season salt and pepper to taste.
- Add bell peppers, cook for additional 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a platter and Serve
The vegetables that commonly added to the beef caldereta are carrots, green and red bell pepper and potatoes. The addition of black and green pitted olives is also optional. For added depth of flavor, grated cheese is blended in this beef caldereta recipe just before serving.
Question regarding the Recipe? Comment below. Like our Facebook Page for more updated recipes.