The Chicken Binakol recipe is another interesting and among the most well-loved recipes anywhere in the Philippines. However, this dish is not yet known to everyone. Chicken Binakol is similar to Tinola, but instead of using rice wash or normal water this soup is cooked in Coconut Juice. It’s Chicken and Vegetables stewed in coconut milk. The juice from the coconut makes the soup distinct and unusual from other Chicken Soups, it is rather sweet instead of savory. Once the soup is already cooked, the strips of coconut flesh will resemble little noodles that add texture and richness to the dish.
Chicken Binakol Recipe Variations
There are two variations of this recipe, the Visayan and Batangas version, both version uses Native Chicken. The only difference is the Visayan version the chicken is cooked with Lemon Grass or “Tanglad” and simmered in coconut shell while in Batangas version, the lean meat from native chicken was cooked slowly for an extended period in a bamboo tube together with the coconut juice and meat, onions, garlic, tomatoes, bell peppers and salt to taste, ginger, lemongrass and potatoes.Print
Chicken Binakol Recipe
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Yield: 6
- Cuisine: Filipino
- 1 whole chicken (around 2 – 2.5 lbs.), cut into small serving pieces
- 1 whole green papaya, wedged
- 1 pack frozen or fresh hot pepper leaves
- 1 pack frozen or fresh young coconut meat, sliced small
- 2 cups tanglad (lemon grass) stalks, minced
- 2 tall cans buko juice
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup red onions, chopped small
- 2 pcs. ripe tomatoes, sliced small
- 4 tbsps. ginger, sliced thin
- 4 tbsps. patis (fish sauce)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté in order garlic, ginger, onions, tomatoes and tanglad (lemon grass).
- Add chicken and continue to sauté until all sides are light brown.
- Pour young coconut meat, buko juice, and chicken broth.
- Stir and cook over a medium-low fire for 45 minutes.
- Add papaya and continue to cook until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add pepper leaves and simmer for a minute.
Health Benefits of Chicken Binakol
Chicken Binakol has a lot of health benefits, we all know that chicken is the most valued food among people of all ages and it is a primary source of Protein, it also supplies essential vitamins and minerals, cholesterol control, losing weight, blood pressure control and a reduced risk of cancer. This dish is also a natural anti-depressant, it is high in amino acid which gives you that comforting feeling after consuming a bowl of soup. Some think, that when you are depressed, eating some poultry will increase the serotonin levels in your brain and helps enhance your mood, and also it boosts immunity.
Questions and Suggestions regarding the Recipe? Comment below and don’t forget to RATE our recipe. Follow Recipe ni Juan on Facebook for more Filipino Recipes. Thanks and Mabuhay!