Last Updated on
Caldereta or Kaldereta as it’s called in the Philippines is one of the most famous recipes especially during festivities like birthdays and any other special occasion. It originated from Spain and since the Philippines was occupied by the Spaniards for three hundred years; the Filipino people have adapted and loved this recipe. The name Caldereta was derived from “Caldera“, a Spanish name which means cauldron. This is somewhat similar to the meat stews of the Iberian Peninsula. The cooking procedure of Chicken Kaldereta Recipe is the same as Pork Kaldereta except that you will have to marinate the chicken for a stronger taste. So for the chicken lovers, this Chicken Kaldereta Recipe will suit your palate perfectly.
The most commonly used is the goat’s meat but you can also use Pork, Beef or even chicken. This can be your main dish for whatever occasion that you will be celebrating. Kaldereta is usually cooked with lots of chilies but it all really depends on your taste buds. Another thing to consider is if you have hyperacidity or not really into hot foods, then you have to go slow with the chili to fully enjoy this enticing recipe.
Chicken Kaldereta Recipe Tips and Ideas
For the best tasting Chicken Kaldereta Recipe, you can use breast or thigh part. Make sure you buy fresh chicken for great taste. Preparation time for this recipe takes about three hours since this has quite a number of ingredients while cooking time is forty-five minutes. To ensure a perfect taste, you should marinate the chicken in soy sauce, vinegar, salt, chili & pepper. After 3 hours of marinating, you can start cooking; sauté the onion, garlic, and chili in a small amount of oil. Press the chili to make its hotness spread into the oil and other ingredients. Add the marinated chicken after a while. You can now add the tomato sauce & paste, carrots and some more soy sauce (according to taste). Add water that is enough to cover the meat then simmer until the chicken is tender. When the meat is tender, add the bell pepper so it will be crisp upon consumption and then some grated cheese for additional creaminess.Print
Chicken Kaldereta Recipe (Kalderetang Manok)
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 mins
- Yield: 5
- Category: Chicken
- 1 kl. chicken (cut into serving or bite size)
- 1 kg Chicken Legs
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns (lightly cracked)
- 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 medium onion – chopped
- Canola oil for frying
- 500 gm Tomato Sauce
- 1 85gm can of Liver Spread
- 2 pcs medium sized Bell Pepper (seeded and sliced)
- 2 pcs long Green or Red chili [optional]
- 1/3 cup bottled olives – drained [optional]
- 1 can of Green Peas (you can also use fresh or frozen 1/2 cup)
- 250 gm Potatoes – (peeled and quartered)
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Hot Chilli Sauce [optional]
- In a bowl add the following ingredients vinegar, salt, garlic, and peppercorns, then mix thoroughly.
- Add the chicken pieces to the mixture and mix well. Marinate chicken for at least 2 hours.
- In a big pot, heat oil for frying. Fry the potatoes till cooked.
- Now, Drain the Chicken from marinade and fry briefly in the oil in batches. Set aside.
- Remove oil from the pot but leave about 2 Tbsp. Heat up again and saute the onion on medium heat until soft and translucent (about 4-5 minutes).
- Scoop out the garlic and peppercorns from the marinade and add to the onion. Saute for a few minutes.
- Add in the browned chicken, stir for a minute then add the rest of the marinade, stir and cook for about a minute.
- Stir in the Tomato Sauce and bell pepper. Bring to boil then turn down the heat.
- Add the fresh chili, simmer until meat is almost done, Now add the Liver Spread and mix well to combine.
- Add potatoes and peas. Simmer until potatoes are cooked.
- Add grated cheese, mix well until cheese has melted.
- Taste the Kaldereta sauce and add salt to correct seasonings, you can now add the Hot Chilli Sauce if preferred.
- Serve warm with Rice.
Another way of cooking this dish is to use coconut milk instead of grated cheese for additional creaminess and instead of using tomato paste and sauce; you can substitute it with liver and lots of onions to make a thick sauce rich in flavor. Take note that the onions should be the same weight as the meat. Just add annatto for extra color.
Now it’s time to indulge in this sumptuous Chicken Kaldereta Recipe that you have prepared. This is best paired of course with hot steamed rice and Tempranillo, a type of red wine which is also a native of Spain and made from Black Grapes. You will not only enjoy this dish but you’re going to keep filling up that plate to your palate’s desire. Your guests will be looking forward to the next special occasion you will be celebrating after tasting this dish.
Question regarding the recipe? Please leave a comment below. Also, don’t forget to like our Official Facebook Page for more updated Filipino Recipes. Maraming Salamat po.