Last Updated on
There are only a few Salad Recipes in Philippine cuisine and Chicken Macaroni salad recipe is one of those. Chicken Macaroni Salad usually makes its appearance in birthday celebrations, fiesta, picnics and family get-togethers. With its mixture of elbow macaroni, chicken and selected vegetables and fruits, this Chicken Macaroni salad, though only a salad, leans more on the heavy side as you would have your carbohydrates and proteins in one go.
Similar to other dishes that make their appearance in Filipino parties, this takes a lot of time to prepare and has a lot of ingredients. This recipe, admittedly, is a combination of Chicken, Pineapple, Ham, Macaroni, Mayonnaise (not the sour variety) and Condensed Milk. Other ingredients also include Carrots, Raisins, and Cheese. For some people, this dish is an acquired taste, but for the majority of Filipinos, the resulting salad is always a tasty hit with visitors and family.
Chicken Macaroni Salad Recipe Preparation Tip
Though this is a Chicken Macaroni recipe, there are substitutes for the ingredients if you want to be creative with the dish. You can use another type of pasta for the elbow macaroni like penne or bow-tie pasta. You can also adjust the ratio of the mayonnaise and the condensed milk whether you want the former to have the stronger taste or the latter. Whatever you do with these two condiments, though, be very generous, as chilling the pasta will absorb the mixture of mayonnaise and condensed milk, making the resulting dish drier than when you put it in the fridge.
It is also important that you put finished Salad on a plastic (Tupperware comes to mind) or glass bowl or container so that the mixture will be chilled well. The Salad, depending on who is making it, can be chilled overnight or for 3-4 hours.
After chilling, serve in small plates as a dessert or as a meal in itself.Print
Chicken Macaroni Salad Recipe (Filipino Style)
The Chicken Macaroni Salad Recipe usually makes its appearance in birthday celebrations, fiesta, picnics and family get-togethers. With its mixture of elbow macaroni, chicken and selected vegetables and fruits.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 5 1x
- Category: Dessert
- 2 cups (8 oz.) dry elbow macaroni
- 1 cup cooked, shredded chicken
- ¼ cup grated carrots
- ¼ cup finely chopped chives
- ⅓ cup diced dill pickles
- ¼ cup finely diced red bell pepper
- ⅓ cup finely diced celery
- ⅓ cup finely chopped black olives
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large pot of boiling lightly salted water, cook macaroni according to package instructions. Drain and rinse under cold water to cool. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, milk, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper, and whisk until smooth.
- Place cooked macaroni in a large mixing bowl, pour dressing and toss. Stir in chicken, carrots, chives, pickles, bell pepper, celery and olives (you can always add more of any ingredient if you feel it’s needed). Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving. Enjoy!
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.