Good Day Fellow Food Lovers, Thanks for visiting my blog again. I just want to share this easy to prepare Filipino Style Chicken Pochero Recipe, one of the country’s popular recipe aside from Adobo and other well-known recipes from the Philippines (Name it All). This Chicken Pochero is commonly served on special occasions like Christmas, New Year’s Eve and other Family Gatherings / Reunions.
Philippine cuisine has a lot of broth-based and tomato-based soups such as Tinola, Nilaga (Nilagang Baka Recipe) and Adobo (sometimes) which is sort of unusual for a very hot country as you would expect that Filipinos would want something dry with a refreshing drink on the side. But no, we have variants of the same recipe and another one of these recipes is our version of the Spanish “puchero.”
Preparing Chicken Pochero
The Filipinos have definitely created their own version with our pochero. It can be said that our pochero is flexible in that we can either use chicken, pork or beef as the main ingredient together with the other vegetables. In this version though, we will be setting our eyes on the chicken pochero recipe.
The Chicken Pochero recipe is not at all different from the original pork pochero since it still uses the saging na saba, pechay, cabbage, tomato sauce, chickpeas, chorizo de bilbao and made brothy by chicken broth. This dish, with the kind of ingredients that it has, can either be a simple viand served to a family lunch or dinner or it can also be a mainstay in a fiesta or celebration because of its thick texture which is always perfect to partner with rice with soda or juice on the side.
Again depending on personal preference, this particular chicken pochero recipe can take many forms, one can skip the chorizo de bilbao and use some other sausages instead, replace the chickpeas with green peas or change the saging na saba to sweet potatoes if one is still looking for sweetness.
Chicken Pochero Recipe and Preparations in Picture
- 1 kilo dressed chicken
- 1 pack tomato sauce
- ½ cabbage
- 100 grams Baguio beans or sitaw
- 5 pcs bananas (saba variety)
- 2 pcs medium potatoes (medium sliced)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- ½ head Crushed Garlic
- 1 chicken cube(Bouillon cube)
- Salt and Pepper
- Cooking Oil
- Heat oil in a frying pan and stir-fry the potato and banana until golden brown then set aside.
- Sauté the garlic, onion, and tomato
- Add the Chicken and cook for 5 minutes
- Add the tomato sauce and mix well
- Add the water and chicken cube then simmer until the chicken meat is tender
- Add the fried banana, and potato and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the cabbage and simmer for 3 minutes
- Add the pechay then turn off the heat.
- Cover the pot for 3 minutes to cook the pechay.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
The Chicken Pochero is best eaten as a comfort food with its mixture of broth and sauce, best partnered with warm, steamed rice to soak up both broth and sauce. This is also a hit during the rainy season.
Don’t Forget to Follow Our Official Facebook Page at RecipeNiJuan and don’t forget to share this wonderful recipe with your friends and relatives.