Last Updated on
Consider this: You’re running late for work and don’t have time to cook a full-blast breakfast meal. What would you do then? A simple solution is to do this salad-based Filipino dish, and this is the Ensaladang Talong Recipe also known as Eggplant Salad. Made with exactly three ingredients: Eggplant, onion and tomatoes, this is the perfect viand to make when you just have to rush something. Though it is usually considered as a side dish to anything fried such as pork chops or fried fish, there is no harm in serving it as a standalone viand with warm rice.
Ensaladang Talong Recipe (Method 1)
- grill the eggplant,
- put the eggplant directly onto the stove fire
- broil the eggplant. There is, however, another way to cook the talong and that is to
- put the eggplant in a pot of boiling water and let it sit there until it is tender.
After making sure that the eggplant is cooked, peel the skin and cut up into vertical pieces then you can mix up all of the other chopped ingredients. Season the entire salad either with bagoong isda (fish paste), patis (fish sauce), a combination of soy sauce and Filipino lemon juice (calamansi) or a mixture of vinegar, sugar, and salt.
Aside from the Method Above, you can also see the complete method below to make Ensaladang Talong recipe. I posted this two version to make it easy for you guys to choose what is best for you.
What makes this Ensaladang Talong a joy to make and eat is because of the ease of its preparation and cooking. Since Ensaladang Talong is commonly served as a side dish, its combination of ingredients provides a stark contrast to the dish that it partners and also, if it was partnered with anything fried, will provide a counter to the oil of the main dish. The added bagoong isda also gives the Ensaladang Talong recipe a mushiness needed for it to be easily chewed.
As a standalone dish, however, this is a pungent but very tasty and healthy salad that needs to be partnered with rice so that the latter than counter the Ensalada’s combination of flavors.
Ensaladang Talong Recipe (Eggplant Salad)
Since Ensaladang Talong is commonly served as a side dish, its combination of ingredients provides a stark contrast to the dish that it partners and also, if it was partnered with anything fried, will provide a counter to the oil of the main dish.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 3 1x
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Asian
- 3 pcs Chinese eggplant
- 2medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium sized white onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons shrimp paste (bagoong) or use sea salt for a vegetarian option
- 1 medium sized red chilli, sliced
- ¾ cup coconut vinegar or white vinegar
- freshly ground black pepper
- Slice the eggplants in half crosswise then grill until cooked. Cool down then using a spoon scrape off the flesh from the skin. Roughly chop then set aside.
- In a mixing bowl mix everything together.
- Place on a small serving plate then serve.
- Calories: 190
- Sugar: 15g
- Sodium: 640mg
- Fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 35mg
Keywords: Ensalada, Eggplant, Salad, Talong
Don’t forget to like Recipe ni Juan on Facebook for more Free Filipino Recipes. Don’t forget to share your thought and ideas on the comment section below.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.