Last Updated on
This Ginataang Mais Recipe or (Sweet Corn and Rice Pudding with Coconut Milk) is a variation of the traditional, Filipino dish called “Ginataan” which has a wide range of ingredients, from different kinds of fish, meat, and vegetables that is cooked in coconut milk, depending on what kind of ingredients are used. However, unlike most forms of ginataan, Ginataang Mais can be considered both as a dessert and a snack, depending on what time the dish is served. It is quite simple to Ginataang Mais, and delectable treat for kids and adults alike.
How To Prepare for your Ginataang Mais Recipe
The Basic Method
- The first step to making Ginataang Mais is to first cut off the corn kernels from the cob if you’re planning to use raw corn but if you’re using corn from the can, drain the water first.
- Afterward, add some water, glutinous rice (kaning malagkit), and corn.
- Stir the ingredients of Ginataang Mais in the pan until the glutinous rice is cooked to prevent rice from burning above the pan.
- Once the rice and corn are both cooked, you can then add coconut milk to the pan and then add as much sugar as you want until you get the right amount of sweetness.
- Simmer the ingredients of Ginataang Mais until the dish’s consistency is thick to your liking. Once you’re done the cooking, serve the Ginataang Mais on a bowl and enjoy it with your friends and family, hot or cold. Eat well!
Ginataang Mais Recipe
This Ginataang Mais Recipe or (Sweet Corn and Rice Pudding with Coconut Milk) is a variation of the traditional, Filipino dish called “Ginataan” which has a wide range of ingredients, from different kinds of fish, meat, and vegetables that is cooked in coconut milk, depending on what kind of ingredients are used.
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 7 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Filipino
- 1 can cream style corn, about 2 cups
- 1 can whole sweet corn kernels (including the liquid), about 2 cups
- 1 cup sweet rice, sticky rice, glutinous rice, or Calrose rice
- 2 cans coconut milk, about 4 cups
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 to 1 cup sugar
- Place a large pot over medium heat.
- Add sweet rice and water. Simmer until rice is soft and almost all of the water has been absorbed. Stir occasionally to make sure that the bottom doesn’t burn.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and continue to simmer until corn is soft and done.
- Remove from heat. May be served cold or warm.
(If you want, you can replace the two cans of corn with 3-4 ears of fresh corn. Just cut the kernels off the cob with a knife and scrape the cob with a spoon to get the corn “milk”)
*This is really up to you and your tastebuds. You can start with 3/4 cup of sugar and just add more later. Like my grandma says, just taste it and adjust until it tastes right 🙂
- Calories: 154 kcal
- Sugar: 12.99 g
- Sodium: 212 mg
- Fat: 4.18 g
- Carbohydrates: 31.83 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 4.29 g
Keywords: Ginataang Mais
The dish itself is like Arroz Caldo in consistency, but is much sweeter and creamier in flavor, due to coconut milk as one of the main ingredients as well as the addition of sugar in the dish. It doesn’t take too long to make Ginataang Mais and is especially great for cold weather when hot, warm weather when served cold, or when you just really crave for Ginataang Mais. The ingredients to make Ginataang Mais are glutinous rice (kaning malagkit), raw or canned corn kernels, water, and sugar.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.