This Ginataang Monggo Recipe is a Filipino dish, a variation of Ginataan, a dish with so many variations that may use meat, vegetables, or seafood as the main ingredient that is then cooked in coconut milk. Unlike most forms of Ginataan, Ginataang Monggo is sweet, is considered both a snack food and as a dessert (if served cold), and is quite similar to Ginataang Mais, as both are prepared in a similar manner, both are snacks, and both use a common ingredient, glutinous rice. This dish is relatively easy and quite simple to make, and all at the same time, delicious.
Ginataang Monggo Recipe and Preparation Tip
To make Ginataang Monggo we have to get the necessary ingredients which are Mung beans (Monggo), Coconut Milk (ginataan), Glutinous Rice (kaning malagkit), and washed brown sugar.
The first step in making this sweet and creamy dessert is to toast the Mung beans, put the Mung beans over a fire, and toast them until the beans are brown and make sure that the beans are toasted well. After toasting the Mung beans of the Ginataang Monggo, set them aside to let them cool down and once they’re cool, using a mortar and pestle, crush the beans and set the crushed beans aside. After you’ve set them aside, on a pan, cook the glutinous rice with some water, and stir the rice to prevent the rice from burning above the pan. Once you’re done cooking the glutinous rice, put the Monggo beans in and then add the coconut milk into the ingredients of the Ginataang Monggo then simmer. You can by this time add sugar to the Ginataang Monggo to add sweetness to the dish. Once the dish has a thick consistency, you can now serve it in a bowl, either hot or cold, depending on the weather or how you want it to be, eat it with your family or friends.
Ginataang Monggo Recipe
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4
- Category: Snacks
- 1/2 cup sticky rice(malagkit), washed
- 1/4 cup mung beans(monggo)
- 1 cup water
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup corn kernels(optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract(optional)
- In a pan, toast monggo until roasted and brown.
- Crushed the monggo using a rolling pin or bottle. Set aside.
- In a casserole mix the rice, roasted monggo, water and coconut milk.
- Cook in a low heat until the coconut milk is almost absorbed. Stir occasionally.
- Add sugar, corn kernels and vanilla extract and stir well. Remove from heat.
- Transfer to serving bowl and serve hot!
Question about the recipe? Leave a comment below. Like our Facebook Page for more updated Filipino Recipes.