Ginataang Papaya is a great and nutritious dish that one should try out, though Papaya in its unripe form can be an ingredient to other forms of Ginataan that use more vegetables, meat, seafood, and fish, the unripe, Green Papaya can still be a standalone ingredient to make Ginataan. However, even by itself, the Ginataang Papaya is still quite tasty, having a creamy, savory flavor coming from the coconut milk (the ginataan). Though, you can also add other ingredients, such as shrimp paste in the recipe. Ginataang Papaya is also nutritious as you’ll get nutrients from the unripe Papaya, giving you healthier skin as they would say.
Ginataang Papaya Cooking Tip
To make Ginataang Papaya, the ingredients that are required are really quite easy to find in the market or your nearby supermarket if you will. The ingredients that you need are the unripe papaya, garlic, cooking oil, shrimp paste (bagoong), salt and pepper for taste, and the coconut oil (ginataan). Afterward, you’re all set to start cooking Ginataang Papaya.
Steps on Cooking Ginataang Papaya
- The first step to making Ginataang Papaya is to heat a pan with cooking oil, with low-medium heat.
- After that, sauté the pounded Garlic with the shrimp paste (bagoong), sauté the garlic with the shrimp paste until the garlic turns to a golden brown color, also make sure to mix the ingredients while sautéing them to prevent the garlic and the shrimp paste from burning.
- Then, once you’re done with this step in making Ginataang Papaya, add the coconut milk, and then let it simmer for at least five to seven minutes.
- After the five to seven minutes have passed, add the unripe, green papaya slices with the rest of the ingredients in the pot, and simmer until the unripe papayas are soft enough, but still slightly firm, this would make the papaya have a more appetizing feel to it.
- Once you’re done, you can serve the dish. Eat well!
How to Cook Ginataang Papaya
- Prep Time: 12 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 42 mins
- Yield: 4
- 2 lbs chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 bunch spinach
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp ginger, julienned
- 8 ounces green papaya, wedged
- 1/2 tsp paprika (optional)
- 1 fragment long green chili (optional)
- 4 pieces Thai chili (or siling labuyo if available), chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the cooking pot and pour-in the cooking oil.
- Saut the garlic, onion, and ginger.
- Add the chicken and chef until the color of the outer part turns light brown.
- Pour-in the coconut milk while stirring and bring to a boil.
- Sprinkle some paprika then simmer for 30 minutes or until the chicken is tender and the coconut milk becomes thick.
- Add the long green chili and Thai chili then simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the green papaya then simmer for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Put-in the spinach, salt, and pepper then simmer for 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat then transfer the cooked chicken to a serving plate
- Serve hot. Share and enjoy!
Question regarding the recipe? Leave a comment below. Please visit our Official Facebook Page for more updated recipe. Mabuhay!