This La Paz Batchoy Recipe, one of Visaya’s signature dishes from Ilo-Ilo is made from miki noodles, pork organs such as liver, kidney and heart, and with a garnishing of ginger, green onions, raw egg and chicharon.La Paz Batchoy Recipe, It is hands-down considered a comfort food together with other dishes like Goto and Lugaw. It can also be eaten as a midday or mid-afternoon snack and also as a soup during the rainy seasons.
La Paz Batchoy Recipe ( The History)
Though this La Paz Batchoy recipe undoubtedly coming from La Paz, Iloilo; its origins are debated; as there are debates as to whether it was a Filipino or a Chinese who invented the dish. One claims that he invented the dish in the ’30s, another one claims to have learned it then put shop in the ‘40s and then another Chinese claimant, though unverified, claim that this La Paz Batchoy has Chinese origins. But then, whoever the creator was, it can still be surely said that the entire archipelago has benefited from it.
Commonly sold in the entire Philippines in local eateries, the noodles and the ingredients are already in the small bowl. Once a patron buys, that is the time that the broth is added with the broth acting as the cooking ingredient for the entire dish. This is then served with fish sauce or soy sauce depending on the one eating.
There are different ways in which to go around this La Paz Batchoy recipe, one is to make your broth and store it so that there wouldn’t be a need to make broth every so often. Another technique is to use shrimp heads and shrimp shells for the broth and then add this to the beef and pork broth. You also have a variation of this recipe, the Batchoy Tagalog which is made of Miswa Noodles.
- 500 g Miki or Egg noodles
- 300 g pork belly, sliced in small pieces
- 150 g pork liver, sliced in small pieces
- 2 pcs pork heart, sliced in small pieces
- 1 medium sized white onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups pork stock
- 4 cups beef stock
- 4 cups shrimps stock (you can make this by frying then boiling shrimp heads)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sautéed shrimp paste
- fish sauce
- chicharon, crushed
- fried garlic
- spring onion, chopped
- fresh eggs
- In a pot add boiling water together with pork belly and pork heart, boil for 5 minutes then remove meat from the pot then rinse with cold water to remove any scum.
- Using the same pot and water add the pork liver and boil for 5 minutes, drain then rinse with cold water to remove any scum.
- In a separate clean pot add oil then sauté garlic and onion, stir fry until onions turn translucent.
- Now add the three types of broth, pork belly, pork heart, black pepper, sugar, soy sauce and shrimp paste. Bring to a boil then simmer for 30-40 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Now add the liver and season it with fish sauce (use according to your liking), simmer for additional 10 minutes.
- Cook the noodles according to instructions. Then once cooked place in a bowl.
- Pour hot boiling broth in the noodle bowl together with meat then top it with crushed chicharon, fried garlic, spring onion and raw egg. Serve immediately and stir in raw eggs while broth is still hot.