We Filipinos consider ourselves a people who do not like wasting anything especially food. And any dish that is leftover is spun as another dish ready to be consumed next mealtime. One such dish is Lechon Kawali. In the event that a whole Roasted Lechon (How to Make a Perfect Lechon) to is not devoured in a big celebration, you are assured that it will still last for another day only as a different meal. However, you can also cook Lechon Kawali from scratch and you wouldn’t need an actually roasted lechon to start off. Continue reading up to the last post to learn more about Lechon Kawali Recipe.
Lechon Kawali Recipe Tips and Preparation
There are Two Versions of this Lechon Kawali recipe, one involves using leftover lechon and another one is lechon kawali made from pork belly.
This first Lechon Kawali recipe is very easy to follow. First, put oil and let it heat on a pan then add the leftover lechon for it to fry. After frying, take off the fried lechon from the pan and reserve it for later. Now, in a separate pot, saute onion and garlic until translucent, then add the fried lechon. After which you add flour, sugar, vinegar and salt and pepper. Let it simmer until the liquid formed by these ingredients is almost evaporated. An alternative to the flour, sugar and vinegar combo is just pouring lechon sarsa into the pot after putting the lechon. Again, adjust the amount of the “Sarsa” as you wish.
Lechon Kawali Recipe
This first Lechon Kawali Recipe is very easy to follow. First, put oil and let it heat on a pan then add the leftover lechon for it to fry. After frying, take off the fried lechon from the pan and reserve it for later.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours 10 mins
- Yield: 8
- Category: Pork
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: Asian
- 2 pounds boneless skin-on pork belly, cut in half
- 8 medium cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- Kosher salt
- Canola or peanut oil, for frying
- Rice or cane vinegar, preferably spicy, for dipping
- Place pork belly, skin side down, in a large pot and add enough water to completely submerge the meat. Add garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then lower heat and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until pork skin can be pierced with a knife with no resistance, about 1 hour. Transfer pork to a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet and season liberally with salt all over. Refrigerate pork until the skin has completely dried, 6 hours or overnight.
- Remove pork from refrigerator and cut into 3/4-inch slices.
- Fill a wok or Dutch oven at least 4 inches oil and heat to 375°F over high heat. Working in batches, fry pork until deeply browned and skin has bubbled and crisped, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer pork to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt to taste. Cut pork slices into 1/2-inch pieces. Serve immediately with vinegar for dipping.
- Calories: 630
- Sodium: 43% DV
- Fat: 97% DV
- Protein: 22% DV
Keywords: Lechon, Lechon Kawali Recipe
Another version of this Lechon Kawali recipe involves washing the Pork Belly and dousing with a combination of bay leaf, salt and peppercorns and refrigerating it overnight. Then, taking it off the refrigerator, heat the pan and put oil into it, tossing the pork belly and deep frying it. Wait until the pork belly is already golden brown. Once it is done, take it off from the pan, and drain any extra oil. Again after this, you have a choice to saute it once more and adding Mang Tomas sarsa into it or to serve it already after frying and reserving the Lechon sarsa as just a dip. Please visit and Like our Facebook Page for more updated recipe. Salamat!