A food that most of the Filipino people have in their table in all occasions you will definitely love when you match it with rice and Pancit Bihon, yes! You’ll surely love it a 100%. Lumpiang Shanghai is a Spring Roll of Chinese origin commonly found in Indonesia and the Philippines.
It is a savory snack made of thin Crepe Pastry Skin called “Lumpia Wrapper.” In Indonesia, Lumpia has become a favorite snack and is known as a street hawker food in the country. In the Philippines, Lumpia is one of the most common dishes found in any gathering and celebration.
Lumpiang Shanghai Preparation
Lumpiang Shanghai Recipe can be made by mixing the ingredients such as ground pork, minced garlic, and onion, carrots, a pinch of salt and pepper, flour (optional/use as extenders) and corporate it using egg; Traditional Lumpia Wrappers are made with Rice or Corn starch and egg whites, You must cook them before eating.
Lumpiang Shanghai is usually cooked in a deep fry and take note of the level of heat you should fry it in a medium level to make it well cooked on the inside and have a perfectly brownish and crunchy on the outside. You will know you cook it right when you bite it and you feel the juiciness of the ground meat.
- 1 cup julienne carrots (about 2 carrot sticks)
- 1 cup julienne sweet potatoes (about 1 small sweet potato)
- 1 cup julienne kabocha squash (about ¼ part of a squash)
- 1 cup julienne potatoes (about 1 small potato)
- 1 cup julienne jicama (about 1 small jicama)
- 1 cup chopped cilantro or chinese celery
- pinch of salt
- pinch of organic sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 pack spring roll or Lumpia wrapper (comes in 25 pieces, make sure it doesn't have eggs in it)
- small bowl of water to seal the wrapper
- 3-4 cups canola oil
- In a bowl, combine all vegetables, salt, sugar, and corn starch. Mix well.
- Using a pair of scissors, cut the the Lumpia wrapper diagonally in half. You should have two sets of triangles. To keep the wrapper from drying, place a clean damp towel on top.
- Peel off one sheet of the wrapper and place on a plate, with base of the triangle on bottom and tip of the triangle pointing to top of the plate.
- Add about one teaspoon of the vegetable filling on the lower center of the wrapper, leaving about ¼ inch of empty space below the filling.
- Fold the left side of the wrapper toward the center. Fold the right side toward the center. Fold up the bottom part then roll up until it reaches the top tip.
- Seal the top with a little bit of water. Finish rolling. Repeat steps until all lumpia are rolled.
- Heat a small size pot in high heat for about 3 minutes.
- Pour cooking oil and heat for another 5 minutes.
- Test if the oil is hot enough by dropping a piece of lumpia wrapper. If it bubbles quickly, it's ready.
- Gently drop 5-8 pieces to deep fry. Lower down the heat to medium heat.
- Fry until all sides of the wrapper are golden brown. Repeat step to fry rest of the lumpia. If you're feeding only few people, fry only the amount you desire and store the rest of the wrapped lumpia in the freezer for later use.
- Place fried lumpia in colander or on paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil.
- Serve hot with sweet sauce like ketchup.
The procedure of doing this is easy as 1,2,3 just get the wrapper put the mixed ingredients inside the wrapper then roll and roll, use Egg White or water just wipe with your finger and spread to the edge of the wrapper to close it very well so it can’t open while you’re cooking.
Question regarding the Recipe? Leave a comment below. Like us on Facebook for more updated list of Filipino Recipes.