Mais con Hielo or Mais con Yelo in Tagalog is as direct as its name. Literally, “corn with ice” in Spanish, this snack recipe is a variation on the well-known Halo-Halo. A favorite sweet treat during the sweltering summer months in the Philippines (March – May), Mais con Yelo is a very easy way to beat the heat what with its very humble combination of shaved ice and sweet corn. It is further made tastier by both evaporated and condensed milk (substitute for sugar) and corn flakes and ice cream on top. You can see it sold by sidewalk vendors and by dessert stations in the malls.
The cornerstone of this recipe, which is the ice, can be bought either from your nearest variety store or you can make it yourself. Shaving the ice is another story as you need to shave it yourself with an ice shaver. If you are going to get the ice from the supermarket though, be sure to have it shaved.
Mais Con Yelo Preparation
Be very generous with the evaporated milk as this will add body to the Mais con Hielo and would not feel as if you are just eating plain shaved ice. As for the sugar (or condensed milk), you can either add it before putting the shaved ice or after putting all of the ingredients in before mixing so that you can adjust the sweetness as per your liking.
As for the optional ingredients, as the recipe tends to be more on the sweet side, it is important that you have some contrast when it comes to the taste. Pinipig and corn flakes are the perfect options since it can absorb the milk in the recipe while providing a rougher texture and a milder taste to the recipe. If you want to make it fancier, though, cheese ice cream can make this dessert an even more delicious.
Whatever the incarnation, this Mais con Yelo recipe is sure to refresh anyone.
- 1/4 cup Condensed Milk
- 1/4 cup Evaporated Milk
- 2 cups Ice cubes
- 1/2 cup Corn kernels
- White Sugar according to your to taste
- Cornflakes as toppers
- Vanilla ice cream for added flavor (optional)
- Using a Blender crush the Ice cubes then set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix and combine evaporated milk and condensed milk.
- Using a couple of tall glass, put-in 2 tablespoon of corn kernels on each glass.
- Put in the crushed ice on top of corn kernels.
- Add-in remaining corn with cornflakes on top of ice.
- Pour-in half milk mixture on each glass then add sugar according to your taste.
- Serve it with long-handled tsps. to stir it..