This Pancit Malabon recipe, is a Rice noodle based dish that originated in Malabon, is a popular dish to be served in big celebrations, fiestas and even in impromptu celebrations in schools and offices. Malabon being one of the major cities in Manila closest to the seas, its ingredients are very much reflective of that environment, in that the ingredients and condiments used came from the catch of the fishermen such as shrimps and crabs. Though there are a lot of businesses in Metro Manila that delivers Pancit Malabon to one’s area, it is still a different experience if this Pancit Malabon recipe is followed and made as a homemade fare.
The ingredients to this dish is very much similar to the ones used in Pancit Palabok, however, the difference lies in the fact that most of the ingredients of Pancit malabon came from the seas, and also because of the different rice noodle used.
Pancit Malabon Recipe Preparation Tips
You need to prepare three batches of ingredients for this pancit malabon recipe, first is the noodle; second, the sauce; lastly, the toppings.
- First, put the rice noodles into a pot of water and bring it to a boil.
- While waiting for the noodles to boil, chop up the vegetables such as the cabbages, peel the shrimp and reserve the heads, slice the hard boiled eggs and green onions and brown the pork belly and the tinapa.
- Reserve all of these. Once the rice noodles are already cooked, take it off the pot and reserve it for later.
- Next, using the reserved shrimp heads, put it to a boil then take away the heads. Next, put annatto seeds or annatto powder into the broth and let it change its color to orange. Take off the annatto seeds then add fish sauce. Then on add cornstarch into the shrimp stock and simmer until the mixture thickens. Add crab fat and salt and pepper.
- Finally, combine the noodles, and all the other ingredients.
- Top the pancit malabon with the shrimp and hard boiled eggs. There are also optional toppings like garlic bits, chicharon and green onions.
This Pancit Malabon Recipe should produce a meal that is enough to feed everyone in the house or people in a big celebration.
- 500g thick rice noodles
- 150g crab meat
- 150g crab fat
- ½ cup Smoked fish, flaked
- 3 tbsp annatto powder
- fish sauce
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2-3 cups of water
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red onion, minced
- Shrimps, with skin on
- Squid, sliced into rings
- Mussels, with shell on
- Pork crackling (chicharon), crushed
- Spring onions, chopped
- Hard boiled eggs, sliced
- Fried garlic
- Lemon, sliced
- On a pot boil water and place rice noodles and cook according to packet instructions.
- Once noodle is cooked, drain and then set aside.
- Boil shrimps, mussels and squid in the 2 cups of water for sauce. Once cooked drain keeping the liquid, set the seafood aside.
- Shell the shrimps and reserve it. Pound the shells with a mortar and pestle to extract the juice, place pounded shells and its liquid in a muslin cloth or fine sieve over a container. Run the water used for boiling on the pounded shells and drain it in a container. Set the liquid aside.
- Shell the mussels and set it aside.
- On a blender mix crab meat, crab fat, water used for boiling, annatto powder and fish sauce, blend in low speed for a minute. Remove from blender then set aside.
- On a pan, add oil and sauté garlic and onion.
- Add the blended crab meat mixture and flaked smoked fish.
- On a separate container mix cornstarch with a small amount of water, dilute it until it’s free of lumps then add it to the pan.
- Bring sauce to a boil and simmer until sauce thickens, add water if sauce becomes too thick. Turn off the heat.
- Place noodles in a big bowl pour sauce on top then mix to distribute sauce evenly to the noodles.
- Place noodles in a big plate then top with cooked seafood, Pork crackling, Spring onions, eggs and fried garlic.
- Squeeze lemon to top.
For the sauce If you don’t want to make your own there are available ready mix sauces from Mama Sitas, disregard steps 4 to 6, dissolve mix in waster used for cooking seafood instead