With Filipinos’ penchant for anything tasty, you can be sure that Filipinos can create a plethora of variations from a lone, basic recipe. This is proven by Pork Afritada recipe. Another product of the colonization, the recipe for Pork Afritada is similar to many others such as Menudo in that aside from the same basic ingredient which is Tomato Sauce. Pork Afritada shares the same carrots, peas, potatoes and red and green bell peppers as with the others.
Because of its savory taste, Pork Afritada is usually served in Philippine fiestas and parties what with the number of people it could feed and with its taste. However, though it may be a holiday fare, this recipe is very easy to cook dish, and the ingredients are also very easy to acquire.
Pork Afritada Recipe Preparation Tip
In getting the Pork, you can choose the meatiest parts such as the flank or the tenderloin so that it will get the most coverage from the tomato sauce. The potatoes act as extenders while the carrots provide the crunch since potatoes would tend to just blend itself into the taste of the dish. The bell peppers, on the other hand, grounds the taste of the entire dish with its hint of spice as well as crunch.
Since the pork itself is already tender, you might want to put the vegetables last as it has the tendency to be very soft if put into the mix too soon. However, if you like it to be as soft as the pork, then go ahead.
Rice will be the forever partner of the Pork Afritada recipe as the rice will seep the excess fat and sauce of this delicious dish. Eat with moderation though as you don’t want to pack carbs because of having another cupful (or two) of rice.
- Pork shoulders, 1kg, cut into chunks
- Pork liver, 200g at least, cut into cubes
- Garlic, 1 bulb, crushed and chopped
- Onions, 1-2 pcs, cut
- Tomatoes, 1-2 pcs, cut
- Carrots, 1 whole, cubed
- Potatoes, 1 whole, cubed
- Bell peppers, ½ at least, cut
- Tomato sauce, 1/3 cup
- Water, 1 cup
- Fish sauce, 1-2tbsp (Optional)
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Cooking oil, 3-4 tbsp
- Put oil in a heated pan.
- Saute the garlic under medium heat.
- When the garlic turns golden, put in the onions.
- When the onions sweat and wilt, put in the pork.
- Cook the pork for 20-30 minutes. Season the pork with 1 tbsp fish sauce.
- Put in the tomatoes. Stir well.
- Add in the pork liver. Stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Just when the liver changes color, put in the water and the tomato sauce.
- Add in the carrots and potatoes.
- Lower the heat.
- Cover the pan. Let it simmer for 20 minutes to allow the meat to tenderize.
- Stir occasionally (every 10 minutes, or so) to prevent burning the bottom of the pan.
- When the meat is tender enough, season with additional fish sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Add in the bell peppers.
- Turn off after 3-5 minutes.
- Serve with hot rice.
Aside from this Pork Afritada Recipe, You can also try our Chicken Afritada recipe which is also posted here in our website. See This Chicken Afritada Recipe.
Recipe ni Juan’s Note:
Any ideas or suggestions regarding the recipe posted? Comment below. Rate our Recipe. Like Recipe ni Juan on Facebook for more recipes.