Bopis is a dish made with pork’s heart and lungs. This has been a familiar dish in any drinking parties in the Philippines as a pulutan. However, with Filipinos eating everything with rice, bopis also found its way to the humble dinner table of the Filipino. This Pork Bopis Recipe, though its main ingredient is not that accessible in, say, a supermarket, is a very easy dish to cook.
What follows in the next few paragraphs is the procedure in following this Pork Bopis Recipe. You may get pork’s heart and lungs at the butcher’s shop at the town’s wet market. If you are going to get it from the supermarket though, always ask the staff if they have some. Upon getting the organs to make sure to clean it thoroughly and put it in a pot with water to boil. Add either lemongrass or ginger to eliminate the smell coming from the organs. Let the organs boil for 20 minutes. While it is in a boil, you can also use a fork to move the organs, ensuring that all parts are well-boiled up. After boiling it, bring it off the pan and start dicing it.
Pork Bopis Recipe and Preparation
On a pan, add palm oil and bring it to heat then saute the garlic and onion until it is translucent. Once it is translucent, you can add the chopped organs and bay leaf (again to balance out the pungency in the organs) and stir for 3 minutes. Next, add the chopped Siling Labuyo and simmer and stir for 2 minutes. Then you add vinegar, water and soy sauce, stirring until the combination of these three evaporates. You can add more vinegar or more soy sauce to taste. Add salt and ground pepper as well. Since this dish is more on the spicy side, you can add more chillis and pepper and let it simmer until the chillis are well-mixed into the dish.
- ½ kilo pork heart
- ½ kilo pork lungs
- 300g pork fat, skin on
- 7 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large red onion, minced
- 4 pcs bay leaves
- 1 large red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 tbsp siling labuyo or cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp annatto powder, dissolved in 3 tbsp stock
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 1 knot pandan leaves
- 3 cups vinegar
- 1 cup pork stock fish sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- canola oil
- green chili pepper for garnish
- 4-5 big bell peppers
- In large frying pan, add pork fat, heart and lungs, lemongrass, pandan leaves, 1 cup of vinegar, 1 tbsp salt and enough water to cover the meat.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove meat, let it cool then dice the meat finely. Set aside.
- In a heavy pan, heat oil and sauté garlic and onions. Add the chopped meat, cayenne pepper and bay leaves, stir fry for 3 minutes. 5. Add bell pepper, 1 cup of vinegar and stock, bring to a boil and simmer in high heat until sauce thickens.
- Add more vinegar if you want it more sour.
- Add annatto powder mixture then season with fish sauce and lots of freshly ground black pepper.
- Simmer for 2 minutes then place in big bell peppers and garnish with green chili pepper. Serve with hot rice.
Turn off the stove and let the heat further simmer the Bopis. Serve it on a large plate and garnish with chopped green chilies or chopped green onions. And that’s it. Include this Pork Bopis Recipe in your to-cook list and be ready for any surprise drinking party.