Empanadas originated in Spain and can be traced back in the 1500s. The word “Empanada” came from a Spanish verb Empanar which means enbreaded or wrapped in bread. It’s a very delicious fried bread that has a lot of meat, corn, cheese, and many other ingredients. The dough which is used for the bread is made from wheat flour. The Argentine Empanadas are regularly served in their festivities or any important celebrations either an appetizer or as part of their main course. Though there are a lot of versions that everyone will really love, you must try the Pork Empanada Recipe which has become one of the favorite “Filipino Foods”. While it used to be cooked at home only, you can now see some kiosks which offer different versions of Empanadas that are truly enticing.
Pork Empanada Recipe Tips and Versions
Even in the Philippines, the Empanada has quite a number of versions; the famous “Ilocos Empanada” which has quite a different twist with the ingredients and Beef Empanada, Chicken Empanada and even the Tuna Empanada. All of these versions are equally delicious of course and worth giving a try. Another favorite version is the Pork Empanada Recipe. It’s a common knowledge that Filipinos love pork very much hence it’s no wonder why this has become one of the favorite empanadas in the country.
- 6 cups All-purpose flour
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. fine salt
- 6 Tbsp. shortening or butter
- 1 cup cold water
- cooking oil for frying
- 4 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 white onions, minced
- 1-kilo ground pork
- 2 tsp. granulated seasoning (e.g. Magic Sarap)
- ½ tsp. fine salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 cup green peas
- 2 medium size potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1 pc carrot, cut into small cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ cup water
- 3 tsp. sugar
- In a large skillet, heat oil and saute garlic and onions until onions are cooked.
- Add in ground pork and stir cook for a few minutes.
- Then add salt, pepper and granulated seasoning.
- Stir cook for 1 minute then adds potatoes, carrots and water.
- Simmer for at least 5 minutes and stir cook to prevent the meat from sticking on the pan and to cook it evenly.
- Add in the raisins, peas, bell peppers and sugar and adjust the seasonings.
- Cook for 2 minutes more or until the liquid has almost evaporated. Set aside to cool.
- Combine flour, white sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix the dry ingredients using a wire whisk.
- Add in the pieces of butter to the dry ingredients and mix them until the butter is well mixed with the flour mixture.
- Add in the water and knead until the mixture turns into a smooth dough.
- Grab about 4 tablespoons of dough and form it into a ball. Do the same for the rest of the dough.
- Put in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes. In the meantime prepare a clean surface, like a chopping board, and dust with flour.
- Get a piece of dough and press it on the surface of the chopping board until it becomes flat.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten it further until thickness become at least half a centimeter thick.
- Place 4 tablespoon of filling on the center of the flattened dough.
- Fold the dough and seal the round edges by crimping or folding it.
- You can also seal the edges by pressing a fork. Do the same for the rest of the dough and filling.
- In a deep frying pan, heat oil about 3 cups and deep fry the empanadas for 3 to 5 minutes or until the empanadas turns golden brown.
- Place the empanadas in a bowl lined with paper towels to drain excess oil, Then transfer to a plate and serve.
Aside from the juicy pork filling, it also contains a lot of veggies like green peas, carrots, and potatoes. You can also add some spice to it like paprika or cumin. Raisins and boiled eggs can also be added to the filling. It can be fried or for the more health conscious ones who are avoiding oil, it can be baked too. Frying it over medium heat will give you an outcome that is exactly as you desire. Adding garlic chives can also give it a more exemplary taste that not only you will love but even the kids and your friends. You can actually add anything you desire to make it all the more delicious. This empanada version is one truly inviting one. Just its smell alone is mouth-watering.
Health Benefits of Empanadas
The Pork Empanada Recipe isn’t only delicious but can be very healthy too because of its ingredients. It contains 2.5gms. of dietary fiber, 21.2gms. protein and a good amount of iron, vitamins A, B 6 & 12, C, D & E among others. So when you start enjoying this wonderful and yummy Empanada, there won’t be too much guilt because you know that you’re eating healthy too. Once you serve it and ready for eating, the kids will munch on it till the last piece and may probably ask you to cook Empanadas for them again very soon. You can also invite a few friends over and have an afternoon snack time with them so they can also have a try on this recipe of yours. You won’t need any side dish to compliment this because you will enjoy consuming it just as it is. It already has a very flavorful taste alone that everyone can enjoy. Please don’t forget to Visit our Official Facebook Page for more Filipino Recipes at Recipe ni Juan Official. Salamat po.