It is often said that Filipino cuisine is one of the tastiest in the world, and one would have to agree, what with the numerous tasty recipes that the cuisine has such as Mechado, Adobo, Tinola or even Chicken Inasal. Filipinos always make it sure that everything is tasty and that it will make everyone will be coming back for more. One such tasty recipe is Pork Higadillo.
The Spanish word for liver which is “higado” would tell us that this Higadillo recipe is a liver-based dish, which is true. However, a variant of the original Spanish Higadillo uses chicken liver as the main ingredient. For our variant though, we use pork liver and pork. As not all people like to eat liver, it is possible that the pork was added eventually so that the non-liver eaters can still eat the dish without leaving out everything. Other ingredients include Lechon sauce and vinegar. Potatoes and carrots, mainstays of Spanish-influenced Filipino dishes, can be used as extenders to the pork and pork liver. However, this can also be skipped.
Pork Higadillo Recipe Preparation Tip Summary
This Pork Higadillo recipe lends itself to many possibilities and is easy to prepare. A sauteed and one-pot meal, you just add all of the ingredients gradually and you can choose to whether make it on the brothy side or more on the broth-less side. As this recipe is similar to Igado, you can also add red bell peppers. You can add more Lechon sauce and emphasize it on the dish by being generous with it; much like Lechong Kawali.
The point is that you can be very creative with this dish as long as you still have the main ingredients.
You complete this higadillo recipe by serving it with warm rice and a small bowl of soup on the side.
- 1/4 kilo pork meat
- 1/4 kilo pork liver
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 medium size potatoes
- 1 big carrot
- 1 teaspoon sugar ( or according to your taste)
- 1 tablespoon bread crumbs ( if there is no breadcrumbs add another 1 tablespoon of flour)
- 1 onion
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon flour ( dissolved in water)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup sliced spring onion
- Saute the garlic and onion then add the pork meat and liver and simmer until the pinkish color is gone then add the soy sauce and vinegar and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the water and bring to a boil, once boiling lower the heat and simmer until the meat is tender, then add the carrot and potato, mix well, sprinkle with alt and pepper to taste and simmer until tender.
- Stir in the dissolved flour and bread crumbs then simmer until the soup thickens, then add the spring onion and turn off the heat.
- Best Serve with Rice