Last Updated on
With 300 years of Spanish colonization, it is hard for Spanish food not to be assimilated by the Filipinos. One would actually be able to know if a particular dish is Spanish-inspired depending on whether the food in question has Sarsa or sauce. One such dish is Pork Menudo. Being the saucy dish that it is, it always makes its appearance in big celebrations such as fiesta or birthday parties in that on the one hand, it is tasty, but at the same time, this Pork Menudo recipe is also economical because the carrots and potatoes used in it can act as meat extenders.
This tomato-based Pork Menudo recipe is simple to follow as the ingredients are also accessible. One would need pork meat, pork liver, tomato (or tomato sauce), raisins, potatoes and carrots. As with almost all Filipino dishes, you first saute garlic and onion until it is already soft, then you add the marinated pork (marinated with lemon juice and soy sauce) and tomato sauce. Stir and simmer until the pork is almost tender.
Pork Menudo Recipe and Preparation
Depending on how long the meat gets tender, you now add the chopped pork liver and the diced potatoes, carrots and the raisins. Let it simmer once more until the vegetables become tender enough. You can add more tomato sauce if you want more sauciness from this dish. This is again always partnered with rice and like many other Philippine dishes, you can be flexible with this Pork Menudo recipe in that you can substitute the liver with liver spread or you can opt not to use the raisin but choose pineapples instead to get that tangy sweetness.
So there you have it, a tasty yet flexible dish that is perfect not only in the everyday table but also for big fiesta and parties.
Pork Menudo Recipe
This tomato-based Pork Menudo recipe is simple to follow as the ingredients are also accessible. One would need pork meat, pork liver, tomato (or tomato sauce), raisins, potatoes and carrots.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 5 1x
- Category: Pork
- Cuisine: Filipino
- 1/2 kilo pork (cut into small chunks)
- 1/4 kilo pork liver (cut into small cubes)
- 3 potatoes (peeled, cut in small cubes, fried)
- 1 large carrot (peeled, cut in small cubes, fried)
- 1 green and 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup chickpeas or green peas
- 1 cup pork or chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons of patis (fish sauce)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 tomatoes (diced)
- 1 small head of garlic (minced)
- 1 medium size onion (diced)
- Optional: 5 pieces chorizo de Bilbao (cut in small pieces)
- In a pan or wok, heat cooking oil
- Saute garlic and onion.
- After the garlic and onion turns golden brown,
- Saute tomatoes, then add the pork, liver, chorizo de Bilabo, paprika, and the chicken stock.
- add patis
- Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until the pork is tender.
- Add the chickpeas or green peas, potatoes, carrot, bell pepper, and raisins. Boil for another 2 minutes.
- Add Salt and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy and Serve hot with white rice.
- Calories: 549 kcal
- Sugar: 5.58 g
- Sodium: 579 mg
- Fat: 22.47 g
- Carbohydrates: 43.07 g
- Fiber: 6.3 g
- Protein: 43.38 g
- Cholesterol: 236 mg
Keywords: Menudo, Pork Menudo Recipe
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.