Last Updated on
Pork Sinigang sa Kamias recipe is also known as Pork in Soured broth. Filipinos are well-known lovers of anything sour and that includes their main dishes. Sinigang is considered a complete meal. Each serving of Pork Sinigang contains a good amount of protein from the pork, fiber and trace minerals from the vegetables, carbohydrates from the Taro or Gabi and of course a good dose of Vitamin C from the souring agent. Pork Sinigang sa Kamias is also a budget-friendly dish. Since the Kamias, a sour and citrus fruit (also known as balimbi) can be sourced from the backyards of your neighbor in the Philippines. Balimbi is a perennial plant that grows up to 7 feet tall and bears its fruit almost all year round.
Pork Sinigang sa Kamias Preparation
Just like the normal Pork Sinigang, Pork Sinigang sa Kamias is made by starting off the broth with plain water. Add the pork brisket and or pork short ribs in the water and let this boil and simmer over low heat for about an hour and a half. Added to the pork broth are chopped taro or Gabi. Taro is a root crop that thickens the Pork Sinigang broth. After this step, the kamias or balimbi is then added followed by the vegetables.
Pork Sinigang sa Kamias Recipe
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 45 mins
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 3 1x
- Category: Pork
- 2 lbs Pork back ribs cut into serving pieces
- 6 pcs of taro roots, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 5 pcs. okra
- 6–7 pcs. medium kamias
- 2 Serrano peppers
- 1 large onion (Sliced)
- Salt to taste
- Bunch of spinach (Trimmed)
- Pour in 5 cups water and Pork broth in a cooking pot. Let boil.
- Put Tomato, Onion, and Kamias and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the Pork continue to boil over medium heat for 45 minutes.
- Put the taro roots and cook for another 45 minutes or until the Pork gets tender.
- Put the vegetables and Cook for 3 minutes (45 seconds for the spinach).
- Once the Pork gets tender, add the fish sauce and stir.
The commonly used vegetables in making Pork Sinigang sa Kamias recipe are kangkong or swamp Chinese cabbage which resembles spinach leaves, it also has okra or lady’s fingers, labanos or radish, and Sitaw or Yard Long Beans. Pork Sinigang is a little fatty as compared to other types of Sinigang. To lessen or remove the fat, one simple procedure can be done. When the Pork becomes tender, turn off the heat and allow the Pork broth to cool down or place it inside the chiller. The fat will rise and solidify. Use a spoon to remove excess fat.
Question regarding the Recipe? Leave a comment below. Please like our official Facebook Page for more updated Filipino Recipes. Salamat po.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.