Last Updated on
Sans Rival is a Filipino dessert with a French influence. The Sans Rival Recipe is layers of buttercream, chopped cashews, and meringue. It got its name from a French word meaning “unrivaled.” There’s also a smaller version of the dessert, a Silvana.
Sans Rival Recipe and Variations
A lot of people like this dessert because of its smooth, rich, and nutty flavor. The French version uses almond or hazelnut meringue. But the Filipino version uses cashews that grow locally in the country. The origin of the dessert is between 1920-1930. It’s when many of our Kababayan’s went to Europe and learned cooking techniques from the region. France is more well-known for its pastries. Filipinos who went there studied their techniques, thus learning how to make this special treat. They made their unique version of the Sans Rival Recipe.
Today, many Filipino bakers are making different versions of the dessert. They put other ingredients like chewy mangoes on top. Some made Ube versions in smaller sizes. There are many ways to make different kinds of sans rival. But the best way to start is to make the simplest version which is the Sans Rival Recipe. You’ll find that learning the basic way to make it will help you in making other versions.Print
Sans Rival Recipe
The Sans Rival Recipe is layers of buttercream, chopped cashews, and meringue. Check this awesome Recipe and make your own now.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Category: Dessert
¾ t. Cream of Tartar
1 C. Sugar
1 C. Coarsely chopped cashew nuts
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1 cup butter , softened
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
8 egg yolks
1 ¼ C. Chopped Cashew nuts
- Prepare parchment lined cookie sheets.
- If making 8″ round sans rival. Draw 8″ circles on the cookie sheet as guide for the meringue later.
- Preheat the oven to 275*F.
- Beat together eggwhites, cream of tartar, and sugar until stiff but not dry.
- Fold in the chopped cashew nuts.
- Divide meringue into 4 8 inch circles.
- Bake for 45 mins – 1 hour or until golden.
- Transfer to wire racks. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Place sugar, flour and salt in saucepan and mix thoroughly, stir in milk.
- Cook over medium heat and stir constantly until very thick.
- Remove from heat and pour into egg yolk mixture slowly.
- Add 1/2 cup butter at a time (cut into several pieces) and beat at medium-high speed until smooth.
- Add vanilla and beat well.
- Chill icing for a few minutes before decorating.
- Use this to fill the meringue layers.
- Decorate top and sides with more buttercream.
- Cover with the cashew nuts.
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 771 kcal
- Sugar: 15.45 g
- Fat: 61.06 g
- Carbohydrates: 42.5 g
- Protein: 19.22 g
- Cholesterol: 330 mg
Keywords: Sans Rival Recipe
Many of the newer versions of sans rival are becoming popular with some even winning awards for their ingenuity. But it’s still a treat you can make from scratch and at home. This Recipe is sure to satisfy strong cravings. It’s for the yummiest eaters out there since it’s very rich. But even with the butter and sugar overload, you still get some nutrition when you use cashews in this sans rival recipe. Cashews have vitamins B-6, E, K, and minerals like selenium, copper, iron, and zinc. Add in some mangoes, and you’ve got your vitamin C intake.
You’ll need a mixer for this recipe. It’s perfect for bakers who already have some baking knowledge beforehand. You only need a few ingredients but some special baking instruments like spatula and baking pans. It’s hard to substitute for those, so please make sure to complete your list before making it. It will take about 3 hours to prepare the sans rival recipe. You can feed more than 8 people with a regular-sized cake.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.