In terms of preparation and cooking, Soup Number 5 recipe is not really different compared to other Filipino dishes that have animal innards as its main ingredient. You have the animal innards, you pre-boil it, you saute, you put in the broth and let it simmer, then serve. What makes Soup No.5 notorious to the general Filipino eating public is that the main ingredient isn’t exactly innards, as your Soup No.5 is actually made up of bull’s testicles and penis.
Infamous because of its use of animal gonads, Soup No.5 is known by many people, especially men, as it is said to be an aphrodisiac. Men who have had their taste of Soup No. 5 claim that the dish has helped them with their love making and that it can be a substitute for that blue pill. However, their claims are still unverified. Its notoriety aside though, with Soup No.5’s use of animal parts and its rich beef broth, it couldn’t be denied that this soup is indeed hearty enough to be appreciated even without knowing its background, as what is usually the case for other innards-based dishes like Papaitan and Bopis.
Soup Number 5 Recipe Cooking Tips
Soup Number 5 is not a one-pot affair as one needs to cook the gonads and broth together, then separately, then together once again. You still need to pre-boil the cow’s genitals with a mixture of spices and sibut before boiling it again for the broth. After which you sautee it and bring back the broth and let it simmer until done. Garnish with toasted garlic or chopped spring onions with fish sauce or soy sauce as dips.
Soup Number 5 Recipe (Lanciao)
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 5
- Cuisine: Asian
- 1 kilo soup no. 5 set
- 2 slices oxtail, skin on
- 1 small packet sibot mix herb
- 1 whole garlic
- 1/2 head garlic, chopped
- 1 thumb size ginger, cut into slivers
- 1 thumb size ginger, cut into thin strips
- 2 large size onion, quartered
- 1 medium size onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. peppercorns
- 1 small bundle spring onion chopped
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Clean and wash the bull organ and oxtail, place in a large pot.
- Pour enough water to cover meat bring to a boil and let boil for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and discard water, wash off all scum from the meat and return to the pot. Pour fresh water to cover meat at about 2 inches.
- Add in the whole garlic, sliced ginger, quartered onion peppercorns and sibot mix herb.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 4 to 6 hours at low to moderate heat.
- Add more water as necessary.
- When done remove pot from heat separate the broth from the meat. Using a sieve strain off all solid residue from the broth.
- Discard residue and keep aside broth.
- Slice the bull organ and oxtail into thin slices.
- Discard oxtail bones.
- In saucepan sauté chopped garlic, ginger, and onion.
- Add in the sliced meats and continue to stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in the fish sauce and stir cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add in the reserved broth, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in the chopped spring onion and cook for another minute.
Soup No.5 recipe usually makes its appearance in your humble neighborhood eatery as a sort of specialty. With its broth and layered taste, you can enjoy it during the rainy season or when the weather is feeling particularly cold.