The Tapsilog Recipe is as ubiquitous as saying “po” and “opo” in that the dish is very much embedded in the Filipino psyche no one will actually say “no” when invited to eat it. What makes the dish popular is not only the ease of cooking it but also the fact that you would know what the ingredients are just by knowing its name. The word “TapSiLog” is a combination of its ingredients. “Tap” from “Tapa” which is the beef and the main part of this popular dish, “Si” which is “Sinangag” or fried rice, and “Log” from “Itlog” or the sunny side up eggs. A mainstay of Filipino carinderias and the Filipino’s breakfast table together with pandesal and coffee, this dish has spawned many variations like “HotSiLog“, “ChickSiLog” or “LongSiLog” but still, nothing beats the original.
The Tapa or Beef is just beef cut into strips, cured with salt then dried under the sun or, in modern times, you can actually buy cured tapa from the grocery then have it grilled or fried. You set it aside then start frying the rice. Originally, sinangag – this garlic-fried rice, is actually just the leftover rice from the night before. So to make it good for the next day, moms sprinkled salt and crushed garlic over the wringed leftover rice and fried it for breakfast.
This tradition of Sinangag continues to this day but we are not so sure if people are still using leftover rice, but who are we to complain about food? You can also add fried crushed garlic for an added kick in your taste buds. However, there are some who fry the crushed garlic first then add the rice. Finally, as for the egg, it is commonly fried as a sunny side up, but anything goes and you can actually cook it scrambled.Print
Tapsilog Recipe (Beef Tapa Original)
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 2
- Category: Breakfast
- 2 pounds of Beef Tapa (or similar cut of meat)
- 1 bulb of garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup of white sugar
- Salt to taste
- Cooking Oil
Garlic Fried Rice
- 2 cups of cold rice
- green onions, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 small onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- cooking oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients for the Beef Tapa, except for the beef and cooking oil.
- Now add the beef to the mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Heat the cooking oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the beef mixture to the pan.
- Pan fry the beef while continually stirring.
- When the beef starts to form a crust along the edges, remove it from the pan and set it aside.
- To make the garlic fried rice, first, add some cooking oil over medium-high heat to the same pan from before.
- Now add the garlic and onions to the pan and stir-fry for about a minute.
- Then add the rice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir fry the rice until it is hot and well seasoned then remove it from the heat.
- In a clean pan, add some cooking oil and fry the eggs over medium-high heat.
- Serve the Beef Tapa with the Fried Rice on the side and the sunny side up egg on top of the rice.
You can have TapSiLog served with vinegar on the side for the latter to be gradually mixed to the dish or have the vinegar poured directly on the Tapa before serving to add to its distinct flavor. Visit our official Facebook Page for more updated recipes.