Last Updated on
Tortang Giniling is a recipe that makes good use of simple but nutritious ingredients. It has been written that torta giniling or ginisang giniling as what some Filipinos fondly call this dish is another Spanish influenced meal. There are some old folklore stories tells that the left-over pork/pigs meat is mixed together and then finely minced in a food processor or meat grinder.
Tortang Giniling Recipe Preparation
The process of making this Tortang Giniling recipe is very simple. The first step is to purchase the freshest lean meat with just a little amount of fat in it. If you have a food processor or meat grinder at home, let these gadgets do the work for you. If not, let the butcher grind the meat. There are also a colorful array of vegetables in this dish. Tortang giniling or simply torta includes medium diced carrots and potatoes. It also has green peas. You can either use canned or frozen green peas. Some Tortang Giniling recipes call for red and green bell pepper in the ingredients. There are also some cooks that add in California raisins and hard-boiled quail eggs in their recipes of Tortang Giniling.Print
Tortang Giniling Recipe
Tortang Giniling is a recipe that makes good use of simple but nutritious ingredients. It has been written that torta giniling or ginisang giniling as what some Filipinos fondly call this dish is another Spanish influenced meal.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Pork
- Cuisine: Asian
- 1 lb ground pork
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 2 pcs small red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp cilantro (wansoy), chopped
- 2 pcs small red onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 medium potatoes
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- banana ketchup for dipping
- Put oil on the non-stick frying pan over high heat.
- Add diced potatoes until golden brown in color.
- Add garlic & onions. Continue to fry until onion is cooked.
- Add salt & pepper.
- Add ground pork and cook until it’s golden brown.
- Add bell pepper and cook for one more minute.
- Add chopped cilantro (wansoy) and mix with the rest of the ingredients.
- Transfer cooked meat mixture into the bowl with beaten eggs.
- Combine cooked meat and beaten eggs thoroughly.
- Scoop about 3 tablespoonfuls of the meat & egg mixture in the pan.
- You can cook 3 tortas at the same time (depending on how big your pan is).
- Fry each side of the torta until golden brown.
- Repeat process until you used up all your ingredients.
- Serve hot with ketchup.
- Calories: 630
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 410mg
- Fat: 37g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Protein: 32g
- Cholesterol: 345mg
Keywords: Torta, Giniling
The next step is to saute or stir-fry the minced garlic and chopped onions in vegetable oil then followed by the ground meat. Brown the meat to make sure that it is thoroughly cooked. Ground meat is a common source of food-borne illnesses if they are not properly cooked. This recipe also has tomato sauce or tomato paste which gives it a citric flavor and a red-orange hue. The left-over torta can be made into Egg Omelets or eggplant omelet, also known as Tortang Talong. Some Filipinos make use of Tortang Giniling as a savory filling for their Pandesal a local Pinoy bread mostly served during breakfast.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.