This Turon recipe ( Banana Lumpia) is a perfect snack or dessert. This kind of snack is like a fried spring roll of the Chinese but uses sweet plantain bananas or locally known as “Saging na Saba“. Basically, this recipe is a rice wrapper filled with a slice of banana then sprinkled with a tablespoon of brown sugar the rolled tightly. It is then deep-fried in vegetable oil until it turns golden brown. The texture of it is just amazing. So here it is how it’s done.
Choose the bananas that are not overripe. This is because when they are deep-fried they will be very soft. Some varieties of this recipe add a slice of sweetened Jackfruit or also referred to as Langka. Langka or Jackfruit is a perennial tree. Its fruits have a very fragrant aroma that when added to the Banana to make it more scrumptious.
This recipe can be made in advanced like a day before cooking. Keep the uncooked Turon inside the chiller and then take them out just before frying. Make sure to fry the Turon in a very hot oil. This is the secret in making this snack crispy. It also best to eat this food while still warm. When Turon is left uneaten after a few hours, its texture becomes soft and rubbery. If this happens, you can reheat this food inside the oven toaster. Do not use a microwave, it will make it mushier if you do this. (Check other Lumpia Recipes Here)
Turon Recipe (Banana Lumpia)
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 10
- 10 pieces of saba / cardaba bananas
- 1/2 cup jackfruit slices
- 15 pcs spring roll wrapper
- brown sugar
- vegetable oil
- Cut a peeled banana lengthwise in 3 pieces.
- Roll the sliced bananas in brown sugar, and then set aside.
- Lay down the spring roll wrapper then place 1 slice of banana, 3 slices of jackfruit then another slice of banana on top. Start rolling the wrapper until halfway, fold the left and right edges, continue rolling then secure it on the other end by damping it with water.
- Heat up a wok, place oil and when oil is hot enough deep fry turon until it turns golden brown.
- Remove from wok, remove excess oil then serve.
Some fancy Filipinos restaurant serves Turon ala Mode. They add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and then drizzled with chocolate or caramel sauce. Go grab your apron and make this Turon recipe. Don’t forget to Like and Share this recipe with your friends and relatives. Follow Recipe ni Juan on Facebook to receive more updates.