One of the most popular Filipino snacks and street foods is the “Binatog”, or Boiled White Corn Kernels. Binatog is a common street food in the Philippines typically marketed by street vendors from house to house in large metal containers. The Binatog Recipe is made up of boiled white corn kernels and crowned with freshly-grated coconut, salt or sugar, and margarine upon serving.
Binatog is a very easy goody which you can prepare alone in 30 minutes or less. The only step of making this dish which will take your time a lot is the part where you will be removing the corn kernels from the ears. Though, quicker and at ease, do not use a knife when removing the corn kernels as you want to keep the kernels whole and not cut over them. One of the fastest ways to do this is to simply use a fork. Just push the fork teeth between the corn kernels and mildly dry them on the cob. In a few minutes, you’ll have corn all set for boiling.
Binatog Recipe Tips
Being a popular Philippine snack sold by vendors who roam the streets with their carts, Binatog made its way to be included in the list of the most favorite snacks of Filipinos.
Binatog or boiled white corn kernels topped with shredded coconut and sugar is another modest, easy, and simple Filipino Merienda (or Mid-afternoon Snack) one can make. It can be topped or sprinkled with shredded coconut, sugar, or salt to enhance its taste. Other Binatog recipes consider using Hominy or Mexican style corn rather than the white corn kernels. The Hominy Corns are canned puffed White Corn kernels that are already pre-soaked in water which shortens the preparation time for Binatog.
- 1 cup boiled White Hominy
- 1 tablespoon Salted Butter (Melted)
- 1 tablespoon Grated Coconut
- 1 teaspoon Sugar (More to Taste)
- Mix the boiled white corn kernels, butter, coconut, and sugar in a bowl.
- Add more sugar to taste.
- Hominy usually comes canned but the corn kernels also come dried.
- Rinse canned hominy with water and boil in a pot until kernels burst open about 10 to 15 minutes. When cooking with dried hominy, soak dried kernels overnight in water.
- Rinse, place in a pot, and cover with water.
- Simmer for a few hours until kernels burst open.
Go grab the ingredients and check out our very own Binatog Recipe. Happy cooking! Question regarding the recipe? Comment below. Don’t forget to Like our Facebook Page for more updated recipe.