Chicken Pastel recipe is a recipe that is highly influenced by the Spanish colonizers in the Philippines. This is a similar version of the American’s chicken pot pie. Chicken Pastel uses the chicken breast thus making this recipe very easy to make since it only needs a little time to make the chicken tender, unlike if you are using other parts of the chicken.
Chicken Pastel is a cream-based dish. It has the all-purpose cream that is widely available in any grocery. It also has a pastry-like topping which is also quite easy to make. This also has sausages and an assortment of vegetables. Some pastel chicken recipe requires the chicken to be marinated for at least an hour with soy sauce and calamansi or lemon juice. This adds the savory texture that the Chicken Pastel has. The pastry crust toppings is simply a combination of all-purpose flour, cubed cold butter, salt, and water. Mix these all together in a bowl and form a dough. Once the dough is formed, let this rest in the chiller for about 30 minutes or so. Then the pastry crust is rolled out as a topping to the chicken pastel and is baked or broiled for 5-10 minutes until the crust turns golden brown.
Chicken Pastel Recipe Preparation Tips
As for the Chicken pastel recipe, the first step is to saute the marinated chicken in a little oil, minced garlic, and chopped white onions. After this step, add in the vegetables such as carrots, bell pepper, and roughly chopped potatoes. Let this simmer for about 5 minutes then add the cream, salt, and pepper. Cook this until the vegetable tender. Transfer the chicken pastel into an oven-proof baking dish.
- 800g chicken thighs, deboned and diced
- 3 pcs large pork sausages, cooked and sliced (In Philippines we use Vienna Sausage)
- 2 medium sized potatoes, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 cups farmers brown mushrooms, quartered
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- ½ cup chopped bacon
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ evaporated milk
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- white pepper
- chopped parsley
- In a pot fry bacon pieces in butter, once brown remove and set aside.
- Now add garlic and onions then saute for a minute, then remove and set aside
- Now add chicken pieces and quickly fry until brown on all sides, remove then set aside.
- Add flour and mix well until it forms a roux.
- Add chicken stock mix well until there are no more lumps, then add chicken, pork sausages, potato, carrots, mushrooms, fried bacon, fried garlic, fried onions, and celery. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes
- Add milk bring to a boil and simmer for additional 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, garnish with chopped parsley
This Chicken Pastel recipe is a perfect dish for parties and other celebrations with your family and friends. Try this now! Visit our Facebook Page for more updated Pinoy Recipes.