Crispy Pata recipe is also called as crispy fried pork knuckles recipe. The Filipinos as are well-known lovers of any food that is fried, specifically deep fried. The technique used to achieve the extra crispy and oh-so-crunchy texture is to fry the pork knuckles thrice. This is to give some blisters to the outside layer of the pork knuckles. The ideal part of the pork to be used in this recipe is the front leg of the pork. The skin of the pata is scored and it is served whole.
This also keeps the crispy pata to keep hot and crispy. It is very necessary to dry and cool the pork skin before re-frying or after each frying stage. The shock effect of cooling and the re-exposure to the high heat that makes the skin very crispy. Others opt to debone the pata after the third frying for better plating and presentation. The crispy pata recipe is tedious to make and it takes a lot of effort to make it. Some cooks are preparing this is batches and store the pork knuckles after the first or second frying. The pork can then be thawed and is now ready for its third frying.
Crispy Pata Recipe
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 70 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Yield: 5
- Category: Pork
- 1 Pata (front or hind leg of a pig including the knuckles)
- 1 bottle of soda (7Up or sprite)
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons patis (fish sauce)
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon of monosodium glutamate (MSG)
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- Enough oil for deep frying
- Enough water for boiling
- Clean the pork pata by removing all hairs and by scraping the skin with a knife. Wash thoroughly.
- Make four to five-inch cuts on the sides of the pata.
- On a deep stock pot, place the pata in water with soda and salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Then add the baking soda and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the pata from the pot and hang and allow to drip dry for 24 hours. An alternative to this is to thoroughly drain the pork pata and refrigerate for a few hours.
- After the above process, rub patis on the pata and sprinkle flour liberally.
- In a deep frying pot, heat cooking oil and deep fry the pork pata until golden brown.
Crispy Pata Dip Sauce:
Mix 3/4 cup of vinegar, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 2 cloves of crushed garlic, 1 head of diced onion and 1 hot pepper. Salt and pepper to taste.
Crispy Pata Recipe and Preparation
Crispy Pata is best served with Atsara or Fermented papaya in sweet and sour relish. The tartness of the atchara balances the richness of the crispy pata. The chewiness of the shredded papaya meats and fibers blends into the crunchy texture of the crispy pata. If you cannot buy or make your own atchara, a simple dipping can be made. A mixture of vinegar that is spiced with salt, pepper, crushed garlic, chopped and onions and minced red chili pepper will also do wonders when the crispy pata recipe is paired with this.
Question regarding the recipe? Leave a comment below. Like our Page on Facebook for more updated recipes. Thank You.