The Pako Salad recipe (Paco) is one of the fern vegetables that Filipinos love to eat. This vegetable which has a scientific name of Athyrium Esculentum is usually eaten as a Salad or as a side dish to a main viand. Aside from its distinctive taste, Pako is very well known to be healthy among Filipinos. However, people are not really aware of what is the nutritional value or benefits of this vegetable. Hereunder are some of the nutritional benefits of Pako leaves. As a vegetable, Paco leaves is rich in Fiber, which is an entirely healthy diet for people who are losing weight, have Heart problems and even those with Diabetes. Fiber takes time to digest thereby allowing people to feel full and losing the craving to eat. One of the top mineral content of Pako is calcium. Calcium is a mineral that is helpful for our bones and teeth. It is a mineral that we normally get from drinking milk.
More About Pako Salad
Because of this, many people, especially the old folks, claim that Pako helps young people to grow taller. It does not spur the growth but helps support growth by providing calcium to the growing bones. The second mineral of Pako is Phosphorus. This mineral assists our bodies to burn carbohydrates and fats into energy as well as in the creation of protein for the growth and cell and tissue repair. Thus, Pako is said to help in speeding up the healing of wounds. The third important mineral in Pako is Iron. Iron is critical for distributing oxygen in the body through our blood. The iron is what carries the oxygen, which is essential to fuel our cells in performing their functions. Iron is also helpful for people who easily get woozy and weak due to iron deficiency.Finally, The Pako Salad is also rich with Thiamine or more commonly known as vitamin B. Vitamin B is especially important for facilitating the smooth operation of our nervous system.
- 4 cups Pako leaves
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 salted egg, sliced
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp sugar
- Combine the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl.
- Mix well and set aside.
- Wash and spin-dry Pako leaves.
- Combine Pako, tomato slices, onion slices in a bowl and mix well.
- Drizzle with dressing and toss.
- Top with salted egg slices.
5 Healthy Benefits of Eating Fern (Paco)
- Calcium – Is a mineral which is responsible for the formation of strong bones and teeth. Aside from that, calcium is also useful for the proper functioning of the heart, nerves, muscles, and other body systems. For someone who is suffering from pre- menstrual syndrome and high blood, the insufficiency of this mineral in the body aggravate the problem. It is then with this reason where the edible fern (pako) will be of great use. Researchers indicate that this indigenous vegetable is a good source of calcium that is why an ample serving of this food in your meal would help alleviate calcium related problems.
- Phosphorus – Serves the same function which is similar to calcium. Such mineral makes up 1% in our bodies total body weight. Added to its function to our bones and teeth, this mineral mentioned above also helps in the utilization of carbohydrates and fats and the synthesis of protein for the growth, maintenance, and repair of cells and tissues. With Pako’s minimal Phosphorus content, eating such vegetable still contributes satisfactory amount on the suggested daily needs of phosphorus in the body.
- Iron – helps in the production of energy in the body. It also serves as an avenue for the proper distribution of oxygen in the body. For someone who usually feels dizzy, and weak, the purchase of supplementary iron capsules is advisable yet costly. With this regard, the consumption of carefully selected fruits, vegetables and herbs (like Pako) would help you go back to life and solve the iron insufficiency problem in your body.
- Vitamin B – Also called Thiamine, this water-soluble vitamin helps maintain breakdown of carbohydrates into the simple sugar. It also helps in the proper functioning of the nervous system. Since “Pako “is classified as a green leafy vegetable, this fern variety help relieves known Vitamin B deficiencies.
- Vitamin A – A vitamin that enables the maintenance of healthy eyes, skin and respiratory system. Thus, including “Pako” as part of your diet helps you have good eyesight, healthy Skin and Respiratory System.