Last Updated on
If you’re a vegetable lover, then this Chop Suey Recipe is perfect for you. It contains several kinds of vegetables which you surely love. But first, you will probably like to know how and where this recipe Originated and how it eventually became one of the favorite Filipino foods. This dish is always present in most Chinese restaurants and gathering but do you know that it originated in New York City on August 29, 1896. There are many stories actually as to how it really originated. There’s also a version that it really originated in San Francisco but it was a Chinese who was operating a restaurant there that cooked it.
Chop Suey Recipe Tips and Preparation
But no matter where, how and when it originated; it’s a clear fact that you will truly love the Chop Suey Recipe regardless of its origin. The most common ingredient of the Chop Suey is the Cabbage, Sayote, cicharo (snow peas) and Chicken liver. But through the years, many other Ingredients have been added to make it more delicious and appealing to the palate. You can also add quail eggs, bell pepper, patola (ptol), carrots, cauliflower, broccoli florets, and young corn.
Also, aside from the Chicken Liver, you can add Chicken breast and Shrimp. Adding these ingredients will make it yummier and you simply can’t refuse from eating once you get to taste this wonderful dish. You have to check out the freshest ingredients though to come up with a mouth-watering meal. The preparation time for this recipe may take a while because it has a lot of vegetables to peel, cut and wash them thoroughly. Cooking time isn’t too long because half-cooked veggies like Bok Choy in Oyster Sauce are more enticing to eat. Eating it crisp will make you appreciate it more. It’s very easy to cook because once all the ingredients are ready, you will just have to sauté and add the ingredients one by one. Make sure that you won’t overcook the veggies.
Chop Suey Recipe
If you’re a vegetable lover, then this Chop Suey Recipe is perfect for you. It contains several kinds of vegetables which you surely love.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 5
- Category: Vegetable
- ¼ lb shrimp
- ½ lb boneless chicken or Chicken Breast
- 1 tsp garlic
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- ½ piece cabbage, quartered
- 1 cup green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small cauliflower, cut into small pieces
- 1 ½ cup snow peas
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup chicken liver, sliced
- Shrimp juice (derived by crushing the head of the shrimp) or use shrimp bouillon
- 1¼ cup water
- salt and pepper
- Saute the garlic and onion.
- Add the boneless chicken and saute for 2 minutes.
- Put-in the chicken liver and let cook for 3 minutes more.
- Pour in the shrimp juice and 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Cover the pot and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp then sprinkle some salt and pepper.
- Add the oyster sauce and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Put-in the cauliflower and cabbage then mix well.
- Add the carrots, snow peas, and bell pepper. Cover the pot and simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables are cooked.
- Dilute the cornstarch in ¼ cup of water then pour mixture in the pot. Mix well.
- Best served with hot Rice.
- Share and Enjoy
You can add this to your menu if you’re celebrating a special occasion or having a festivity. Your guests will absolutely love it. When it’s all done and ready for eating, grab a cup of steamed rice to fully enjoy this sumptuous dish. Don’t forget to put a glass of water on the side. Once you and your guests feel the crispiness of the vegetables, there’s nothing to do but indulge in it. It will not only make the tummy full of happiness, but it can also be very good for your overall well-being. Several kinds of vegetables are in this recipe so you can also say that it is indeed a very healthy meal.
You can probably remember your folks saying to you as a kid that eating veggies are more appropriate for a growing kid because of all the health benefits. They would usually say that it will make you taller if you eat vegetables. But of course, the main concern here is the delicious outcome of your Chop Suey Recipe. You can be sure that all your guests will fall in love with this very delectable dish that you have prepared or you can visit our Official Facebook Page for more Pinoy Recipe Ideas. Salamat at Mabuhay!